A completely insane day of free agency comes to an end we keep you up-to-date with all the Mavs-related stuff you need.
Brett Perryman of SBNation Dallas noted that DFW could remember December 8th, 2011 as the Black Thursday for sports fans in the area. The Rangers lost C.J Wilson to the L.A. Angels and Maverick fans learned that Mark Cubans plan to preserve cap room for the future was no joke. Several members of the championship roster signed contracts or are close to signing contracts:
Caron Butler, who helped the Mavericks starting 24-5 last season and then unfortunately went down with a major knee injury, agreed on a 3yr/24M-contract with the L.A. Clippers.
- The Golden State Warriors stopped pursuing Tyson Chandler, because they believe he is about to sign with the New York Knicks. The rumors included a S&T that would have brought Billups and Turiaf to the Mavs, but Marc Stein says no.
- Jose Barea also expressed extensive disappointment about not being able to resign with the Champs. The Mavs only offered a 1-year-deal and that's not going to work. He was at the Ben & Skin Show this morning and criticized the manegement for their lack of explanation.
- DeShawn Stevenson joins this group of free agent champions and is likely on his way out, too.
- Marc Cuban nonetheless sees his team incredibly well positioned to compete this year and is looking to make further additions to the roster.
- The TwoManGame has a nice compilation of minor free agent targets for him.
- They also seem to hunt former lottery pick Brandan Wright.
- On a side note: Former Maverick Josh Howard is attracted to sign with the team that picks up Nene.
- Also Dirk spoke to the media today. Mavs facebook-page has the audio.
What Brett Perryman couldn't know was, that December 8th, 2011 won't go down as the Black Thursday for sports fans in DFW, but as the day where "Basketball reasons" prevented the trade that would have sent Chris Paul to the Lakers. And that is indeed kind of good news for the Mavericks, because they hope to land a major free agent next summer and with Paul heading to L.A. he would have been off the market. No matter how that drama will continue to unfold, the Black Thursday turned into a Crazy Thursday faster than you could say "Basketball reasons."