The Mavericks bench came up huge and that was the difference as Dallas got their 10th straight victory by defeating the, 102-100. The 10th consecutive victory marked the 10th time in franchise history they’ve had a double-digit winning streak. JJ Barea channeled his inner as he led the Mavericks in the final quarter. Barea had 15 points on 6-8 shooting in the final quarter. Terry added eight points in the final quarter and finished the game with a game-high 22 points. The Mavericks are 11-1 when Jason Terry scores 20-plus points in a game this season.
Dallas has won eight straight against Sacramento, including 24 of the last 29 match-ups. With the 102-100 victory at Sacramento, the Mavericks have now defeated the Kings seven out of the last nine times on the road. Dallas moved to an incredible 26-1 when they record 100-plus points in a game this season. During the winning streak, the Mavericks are averaging 103 points per game, and holding their opponents to 96.2 points per contest.
The boys in blue had to hit the comeback trail as they fell behind by 10 points in the second quarter. The Mavericks made up a that deficit in the quarter (30-20) to finish with a 56-47 lead at the half. Dallas used a 29-10 run over the last 9:24 of the quarter to take the lead. They improved their record to 9-12 in game where they fall behind by at least 10 points in a game.
Dallas moved to 8-3 on the first game of a back-to-back. They went 15-5 in the first game of a back-to-back in 2009-10. With the win, the Mavericks are 9-2 in games decided by three points or less. The Mavericks went 9-2 (.818) in games decided by three points or less in 2009-10, which was the highest winning percentage in the league in such games.Did THAT Just Happen?!
-was a beast in the first quarter as he responded from his benching in the game against Cleveland. Haywood had seven points in the first quarter and four rebounds (three on the offensive end of the court). The big man had a lot of energy and was a factor on both sides of the floor. responded as well with with 6 points in the first quarter. Combined, they finished the first half with 18 points, 8 rebounds on 7-9 shooting.
- Jason Terry went crazy in the fourth...wait, the second quarter. He helped lead the comeback charge for the Mavericks with 12 points in the second quarter. JJ Barea chipped in as well with 5 points in the second frame. Obviously, they had more left in the tank going into the second half
-was really quiet in the first half. He did not record his first made field goal until the 8:48 mark of the second quarter. Nowitzki started to get rolling in the third quarter and finished the game with 10 points and six rebounds. It appeared that Nowitzki's right wrist was giving him some issues over the course of the game. If that is actually the case, it is likely going to be a lingering problem for a little while, luckily the schedule is favorable going into the All-Star break.
-got a nice reaction from the team where he started his All-Star career but like Nowitzki, he struggled from the field. The forward scored four points on just 1-7 shooting from the field. The looks that he got were very good, he just needs a few games to get his rhythm and those shots will start to fall. Stojakovic played 19 minutes for the second consecutive game. He did tie with 5 assists which was a team-high for assists.
-tried to save the Kings in the fourth quarter as he scored 10 of his 20 points in that final frame. He made up for who got thrown out in the final quarter after being called for his second technical foul of the game. Sacramento was trailing the Mavericks 74-73 after the third quarter. With the loss, they moved to 3-25 when they trail heading into the final quarter. The Kings had their chances to win the game, just like the . Wednesday night was just another example of a bad team finding a way to the lose the game.
Box Score Revelations
- As mentioned earlier, the Mavs centers were huge to start the game. Considering they were behind early, it was a good thing that their big men were a factor. "Brenson Chanwood" (remember that?) shot 5-7 from the field while the rest of Mavs shot 2-15 in the first quarter. They finished the game with 20 points and 11 rebounds.
- The Mavericks had a nice stretch of games where the rebounding battle was starting to go in their favor. That was not the case against the Kings as Sacramento won the battle, 48-39.
- The ball movement continued to work in the game against the Kings as the Mavs had 22 assists on 38 made field goals. Dallas is 33-8 when they have at least 20 assists in a game. Kidd and Stojakovic led the team with 5 assists each. Kidd has led the team in assists 42 times this season (including ties) and the Mavs are 32-10 in such games.
- Bench scoring was heavily in the favor of the Mavericks at halftime. Sacramento's bench came alive and brought the game within reach heading into the final quarter. The final quarter saw JJ Barea and Jason Terry went off as they scored 23 points in the final quarter. The Mavs bench outscored the Kings bench, 58-42. Barea and Terry made up 42 of those 58 points. Dallas is 29-7 when its bench outscores the opposing team’s reserves and the Mavericks are 25-2 when at least two reserves score in double figures. The bench continues to be a huge factor for the team, MMB will have more on that on Thursday.
- Fast-break points were a point of emphasis for the Mavericks as they struggled with their transition defense against Cleveland. Things looked rough early as they allowed the Kings to have eight fast-break points within the first few minutes of the second quarter. The defense stayed in front of the Kings and held them to four fast-break points the rest of the way.
Tweetings From the Mavs Universe
- "Peja's knee looks pretty spry tonight."
- "Haywood reminds me of Cowboys LB Bobby Carpenter. He's been so bad that we're shocked when he does something good"
- "Kidd and Cardinal made it rain to close the half. 19-4 Mavs run to close out the second quarter."
- "Looks like another 4th qtr game for mavs"
- "Tyson Chandler is going to reward Barea with a whole jellybean for his performance tonight."
BG's Baller of the Game:
Baller status has been granted to JJ Barea. The point guard continued to state his case that he should still be a major factor for the team when Roddy Beaubois returns to the lineup. The Mavericks do not win the game without Barea's performance in the final quarter. He was a factor with his penetration and a factor with his long range shooting. Barea was on fire, so much so that no one would have stopped him if he decided to channel his innerover the course of the final quarter.
The Mavericks jump on a plane and head to the Rocky Mountains to take on the. Denver has won seven of the last 10 meetings with Dallas. The two teams split the home-and-home series on November 3, 2010 and November 6, 2010, with the road team winning each time. The Mavericks have won two of the last three match-ups at the Pepsi Center, after they lost four straight in Denver from April 6, 2007-January 13, 2009. The Mavericks All-Time record on the road against Denver is currently 28-44. The Mavericks are looking to improve their record on the second night of a back-to-back. Dallas is currently 7-3 on the second night of a back-to-back, they went 12-8 in the second game of a back-to-back in 2009-10. The game will be nationally televised on TNT. Dallas has a record of 5-5 in Nationally televised games. Tip-off for the Mavericks/Nuggets game is 9:30pm CST.
Twitter? I don't even know her! Oh......
You can stay connected with all thingsby following Bryan Gutierrez on twitter @BallinWithBryan