The Mavericks continued their winning ways in multiple forms with their 101-92 victory over the The eight-game winning streak marks the longest active win streak in the NBA. It is also the Mavericks’ second-longest winning streak of the season (won 12 straight from November 20-December 11). They have now won nine of their last 10 games, after they lost six straight from January 6-January 17. Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry led the scoring charge for the Mavericks. After building a comfortable 18-point lead, the Mavericks withstood a late rally by the Bobcats to secure the victory on the second night of a back-to-back.. Dallas extended their current winning streak to eight games and they remain undefeated against Charlotte.
With the victory, Dallas recorded their 14thstraight victory over Charlotte. The Mavericks have gone undefeated (14-0) against the Bobcats since Charlotte expanded into the league in 2004. Dallas is the only team with a perfect record against Charlotte. No other team has recorded 10 consecutive wins against the Bobcats (Milwaukee won nine straight beginning in 2004-05). The Mavericks’ average margin of victory in the previous 13 wins was 10.5 points.
With the victory, the Mavericks swept the regular season series with the Bobcats. The Mavericks have now swept five Eastern Conference teams (Charlotte, Boston, Atlanta, New Jersey and Miami). Dallas has been swept by two Eastern Conference teams (Chicago and Milwaukee). Overall, Dallas is 16-8 against the East.
The Mavericks continued their success in the back-to-back games scenario. Dallas is 7-3 in the first half of back-to-backs and 7-3 in the second half of back-to-backs this season. The Mavericks have 20 back-to-backs scheduled this year, after they played 20 in 2009-10. Dallas went 15-5 in the first game of a back-to-back and 12-8 in the second game of a back-to-back in 2009-10.
Did THAT Just Happen?!
- JJ Barea had a quick start with two of the first three baskets for the Mavs. He got his second straight start at the shooting guard position. Barea finished the game with 15 points. It was a tale of two nights as Barea had little to no resistance in getting in to the paint against the Bobcats defense. The point guard also had a filthy step-back three-point basket that hit nothing but the bottom of the net. He left no doubt that it was a three-point basket as he shot it from 27-feet away from the basket.
- Tyson Chandler engaged in beast mode in the paint. He finished the first half with eight points and 11 rebounds. Chandler had recorded a double-double in five out of his last six games. He also had a cheap technical foul called as the game went to halftime, it was his eighth technical foul of the season. That total ties him withfor the sixth most in the NBA.
- For the second consecutive game, there was another impressive block by a Mavericks player. With just under four minutes to go in the first quarter, Shawn Marion had a nasty block on Kwame Brown to prevent a dunk. It is safe to say that Shawn Marion was hosting a block party in Charlotte and Kwame Brown was invited.
- The Bobcats refused to send consistent double team at Dirk Nowitzki. With that thought process, it now makes sense on why the team in Charlotte has been unable to record a victory of Dallas. Nowitzki showed a nice array of moves over the course of the game including a variety of hook-shots and a scoop move into a nice finger roll layup.
- Dallas continued to find the basketball when it is in the air. The Mavericks won the rebounding battle over the Bobcats, 44-40. It is the fourth time in the last five games that they have out-rebounded their opponent. Before the current stretch, the Mavs had lost the rebounding battle for 10 consecutive games.
- Dallas has scored over 100 points in seven straight contests. The Mavericks are 25-1 when they record 100-plus points in a game. The team fell to Orlando, 117-107, on January 8, marking the team’s only loss when hitting the century mark so far in 2010-11. The Mavs were 35-7 (.833) when they scored at least 100 points in a game last season. 13 opponents have scored 100 points against Dallas this year. Dallas is 7-6 in those games.
Box Score Revelations
- Dirk Nowitzki's shooting touch continues to sizzle as he scored 25 points on 10-19 shooting from the field. He loves facing Boston, his highest scoring average versus an opponent (27.4). Dirk is willing to spread the love with Charlotte as well. His 2nd highest scoring average versus an opponent is 26.2 against the Charlotte Bobcats.
- Jason Terry scored 21 points and moved into a tie for 114th place on the NBA's All-Time Scoring List. He passed Mike Mitchell earlier in the game and is now tied withwith 15,028 career points. Terry hit a dagger jump-shot with just under 40 seconds to go in the game to extend the Mavs lead and put the game out of reach.
- Tyson Chandler continued his strong efforts on the glass. The big man had a game-high 15 rebounds in the game. Chandler had seven of his eight offensive rebounds in the first half of the game. Chandler was unable to record a double-double with only nine points. He had recorded a double-double in five out of his last six games.
- The Mavericks did host a block party at the expense of the Bobcats. Dallas had a season-high 14 blocks in the game against Charlotte. Seven of those blocks came in the first half of the game. Dirk Nowitzki led the charge with four blocks.
- Kwame Brown was shooting 58% from the free throw line during the season. In the game against the Mavericks, he shot a perfect 6-6 from the line. I am sure Michael Jordan was proud of his performance during the game.
- Brendan Haywood brought a lot of energy off of the bench as he grabbed 7 rebounds in 13 minutes of action. The backup center also added three points and a blocked shot. He was a factor in the paint and whenever he got the ball, he sucked in Charlotte's defense.
- The Mavericks went 7-22 from the three-point line. Since February 27, 1999, the Mavericks have gone 988 consecutive games with a three-pointer made. It’s the longest active streak in the NBA. The went 986 consecutive games with at least one 3-pointer made, but had their streak (which began on February 26, 1999) come to an end vs. Memphis on January 24, 2011.
Tweetings From the Mavs Universe
- "@jjbareapr needs to start every night!"
- "Tyson Chandler may be the most under-appreciated center in the league.... He brings it every night"
- "I remember when I was younger and Gerald Wallace used to be good"
- "This building is quiet..."
BG's Baller of the Game:
Baller status has been granted to Dirk Nowitzki.. As mentioned, Nowitzki was a huge factor with his scoring AND his defense with four blocks. It appears that Nowitzki's strip-move is back in a groove after the layoff due to injury. He was really locked in disrupted numerous Bobcat possessions. On the offensive end of the court, he did not rely just on the jump-shot. He took what the defense gave him and picked apart the defense. Dirk Nowitzki is back, the league has been put on notice.
The Mavericks went 3-0 on their East Coast road-trip. The Mavericks will take Sunday off before taking on the strugglingat the American Airlines Center on Monday night. The Cavaliers lost to the on Saturday night, marking the longest single-season losing streak in NBA history by dropping their 24th straight game. Cleveland lost 24 straight games spanning the 1981-82 and 1982-83 seasons. Just like the game against the , the Mavericks do not want to be THAT team. The game against the Cavaliers will tip off at 7:30 pm CST.
Twitter? I don't even know her! Oh......
You can stay connected with all thingsby following Bryan Gutierrez on twitter @BallinWithBryan