Did something about the Mavericks happen on Friday? Let's just dive into the mountains of links:
- Dwain Price of the Star-Telegram has notes about an injury to Brandan Wright and some musing about Vince Carter and the stable of guards the Mavericks have.
- This AP story (on the Washington Post, just where I read it) talks about something that I think is going to become the most repeated and annoying narrative this season: Dirk is a "changed man."
- Tim MacMahon at ESPNDallas.com writes about how the Mavericks are appreciating the full training camp this season to get used to all the new pieces on the roster.
- A big narrative during the Mavericks 2011 title run was all the individual stories of playoff failure from almost everyone on the roster: Dirk, JET and Jason Kidd 0-for-3 in the Finals, Shawn Marion never reaching the next step with the Suns, Tyson Chandler and his Hornets blowing a 3-1 lead over the Spurs back in 2008...the list went on and on. This season's newest Mavericks share the same feelings, Steve Hunt writes over at FSSouthwest.com.
- One of the nicest things about Tyson Chandler was having someone who would get in someone's face whenever someone would take a cheap shot at Dirk. Yeah, Erick Dampier did some things well, but he wasn't exactly a knight in shining armor. Elton Brand looks to be the new tough guy.
- Lamar Odom wants to apologize to Mark Cuban, and Kelly Dwyer of Ball Don't Lie sums up my feelings pretty well. Not sure I'd blame Cuban if he decided to not pick up the phone. Can we stop talking about Lamar Odom the Maveric? K, thanks.
- Vince Carter is being all old and wise, Dwain Price says.
- Elton Brand thinks the Mavericks can match what Dwight Howard does in LA and Deron Williams does in Brooklyn. Remember, the 2011 Mavericks only had one All-Star, Dirk. So it's possible.
- Rick Carlisle is going to let Darren Collison roll with the offense this season. That's pretty great news and the nugget about Collison contacting the Mavs video staff right when he heard he was traded sounds pretty swell.