- Anyone have an idea of what the Mavs are trying to do with Terry as a S&T? I know they don't have an interest in taking back much if any salary and the Celtics will need to include approximately 5 mil in the deal since they're over the cap. Mike Fisher also hinted at a possible three team deal including the Raptors with Calderon ending up on the Mavs. In that case, the Mavs would still need to ship out another 6+ mil to make room for his 10.5 mil contract. Unless Collison is included in that deal (and I for one would really like to hold on to him), there aren't really enough PG minutes to split and due to Collison's height and Calderon's shaky defense they couldn't very well play together. So as much as I would like to have Calderon's passing and 3 point shooting, I just don't see how it will work and how the Mavs can still have a bench with his contract taking up 1/6 of the cap. If Calderon's is amnestied then obviously the Mavs should enter a bid which I think is what is going on here with Terry, the Mavs unused cap space, and the Calderon dealings - I think they're just waiting it out. What do yall think?
- Josh Childress has been amnestied by the Suns, presumably so that they'll have room to take on Scola who they won via amnesty bid as well as offer OJ Mayo a large deal. Childress's contract has 3 years left and 21 mil left on it. It was truly a terrible contract when they offered it to him and looks even worse now. However, before he left to play in Greece for a couple years, he was a decent slasher/scorer and solid defender for the Hawks. Assuming that the bid floor is around 3.3 mil, I would imagine that he passes right on through unclaimed. Would yall welcome him to the Mavs on a vet minimum deal and hope he can re-find his game? Personally I think it could be a smart move since we are thin at SF and he would bring legitimate SF size at 6'8", much needed rebounding, and another possible lockdown defender.
- It's been pretty well documented on this site as on others that while the Mavs have certainly made great strides over the last week to put together a decent roster following Deron's wrong choice, we are severely lacking in perimeter shooters - a hallmark of the Mavericks' most successful teams and an extremely integral part to Carlisle's flow offense. Outside of Dahntay Jones, VC, and Dirk, the Mavs don't have any reliable 3 ballers. Roddy lit it up his rookie year but has since lost the outside touch. West (I include him here because I think it is a forgone conclusion that the Mavs will use their 2.5 mil room exception on him) has actually been a pretty good outside shooter for his career with a career average of .372 but it hasn't been a big piece of his game. The same applies to Collison who is a .363 career 3 point shooter but takes only 1.5 a game. Even if Collison and West start chucking up more balls from deep, the Mavs will definitely need at least one premium shooter and probably another floor spacer. What shooters interest you the most for Mavericks additions - here's a short list of the possibles: Lee, Belinelli, Foye, Delfino, Barbosa, Parker, Stevenson, and Pietrus? My vote would be for Belinelli (only because I read Lee wants more than the MLE of 5 mil if he can't sign with the Celtics which would be too much for us as currently structured) and Parker on a close to minimum.
- How did picking up Carter's contract for the next three years fit into the "keep our powder dry" theory? I know that for what he can provide 3 mil is not a bad deal but has anyone heard anything about him getting moved this off season? I would imagine that if he doesn't get moved this off season then it will happen next year to make more room for a max contract and space to fill out the roster. As he'll be 36 next year and his game still remains mostly based on his athleticism, I would think his value will continue to drop. I have nothing against Carter and I think he ended up playing pretty well for us last year especially with his salary number in mind but I just didn't get this move by the Mavs especially as they've been so surgical with their cap choices since then. Anybody have any ideas?
- Any other amnesty rumors that the Mavs could be waiting on?
Thanks for your thoughts.