Lemme tell ya about the night Jimmy O.B. drank three bottles of Jagger and then rode his bicycle through da circus. Whatta night.
Not a whole lot out there, it's almost as if some football team is in training camp.
- As already noted by our very own Alan Smitee, Jim O'Brien could be the Mavericks new top assistant. This makes total sense: O'Brien is familiar with Rick Carlisle and new point guard Daren Collison. Also, O'Brien is known for getting his teams to push the tempo, as his Pacer teams were always near the top of the league in pace, which suits Daren Collison very well. Also, with Monte Mathis entrenched as the defensive assistant, O'Brien makes much more sense as an offensive coach. Again, his Pacer teams were always fast...ahem..paced. He'd make good use of the Mavs new fresh legs in the back-court.
- After ranking the Western Conference, ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan is now going in-depth on each team above the Mavericks on their list. Today? The new-look Denver Nuggets with their fancy new toy, Andre Iguodala. Caplan notes that Daren Collison will even the edge that Ty Lawson gave the Nuggets against the Mavericks last year. Iguodala always provides problems against the Mavs, but as Caplan notes, there's still no one on the roster that can hold down Dirk. Now that the Mavericks have more speed and youth to run with these Nuggets, these matchups will been even better to watch.
- Well, it looks like Don Nelson is done for good. I'll throw back a Coors Light (or six) in his honor.
- Not basketball related, but Mark Cuban has some advice for college students. Here's a hint: better know your computers.
- The news of Jason Terry updating his trophy tattoo to include the Celtics mascot on it isn't really all that new. But Terry did talk to a Boston news station over the weekend, and confirmed that the tattoo means he thinks Boston will win it all this year. I'm a little saddened, because I think Terry doing this makes the orgional tattoo lose a little of its luster. But if the Celtics somehow overcome an aging core, an upgraded Eastern Conference, The Heat and LeBron James continued brilliance and their front-court issues, well, then Terry can have all the tattoos he damn wants.