Feb 29, 2012; Memphis, TN, USA; Memphis Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo (32) drives past Dallas Mavericks guard Jason Kidd (2) at the FedEx Forum. Memphis defeated Dallas 96-85. Mandatory Credit: Nelson Chenault-US PRESSWIRE
- Jeff Caplan writes that the "wild, often strange offseason" can't be over soon enough, and I agree. He cautions us to prepare for a season of learning new faces, enduring trade rumors and possibly having to learn even newer faces still. Yay?
- Eddie Sefko is
excited for the season, tooalready looking to 2013, with the third installment in his series looking at potential "big fish" targets, focusing on Andrew Bynum. The first was some guy named Dwight Howard who I don't think we've heard much about lately, by the way, and the second was Chris Paul, who renders my heart aflutter. I'm betting you're all really, really pumped to get your hopes up on one of those guys, aren't you?
- What's Don Nelson doing, you didn't ask? Enjoying his retirement.
- A few of Nelson's old players are coming back to Big D. Earl K Sneed looks at two new front office members of the Mavs' extended family, Michael Finley and Eduardo Najera.
- Sneed also continues his series looking at Dallas' offseason acquisitions, and focuses his lens at O.J Mayo. There have been a lot of hopeful pieces on Mayo this summer, from Caplan to Sneed to Fisher. Turning Mayo into something resembling a borderline All-Star seems like a pipe dream to me, but if there's a coach and a superstar teammate who can do it it's Rick Carlisle and Dirk Nowitzki.
- Lastly, in news un-related to the Mavs, did you know the Barclays Center has rusted metal all over it...by design?