1. Draft 2013: Get a big man or a point guard (Burke, Carter-Williams, Cauley-Stein) that will play minutes next season either as a starter or backup. Use second round pick on a high motor guy with a specific skill (rebounder/defender: Dieng, Muscala, Roberson, Young, Howell; scorer: Green, Warren, McDermott).
2. 2013 FA: Resign Mayo to a 7-8mil a year deal. If drafted PG, then be sure to sign starting big man (Dalembert, Mozgov, Hickson). If drafted big man, be sure to sign starting PG (Jack, Calderon). Need to amass tradable assets so sign as many reasonable sized deals from this list as possible – Eric Maynor, Patty Mills, Randy Foye, Tony Allen, Ronnie Brewer, Anthony Morrow, Marco Belinelli, Martell Webster, Mike Dunleavy, Wayne Ellington, Dorell Wright, Corey Brewer, Chase Budinger, Omri Casspi, Elton Brand, Austin Daye, and DeJuan Blair.
3. Make the playoffs: Hooray
4. Draft 2014: Get a good hustle guy – not a project player – that could become a rotation/role player hopefully at some point. Or package pick and tradable contracts to move up in the draft and get a higher quality pick.
5. 2014 FA: Resign Dirk to hometown discount around 10mil per. Resign Marion to about 3mil a season. Probably let Carter go unless he’s willing to take next to nothing. Consider using cap space to make restricted FA bids knowing that all will be matched (George, Favors, Sanders, Cousins, Monroe). Instead, sign SF for the next four years – Deng, Iguodala, or Granger. Use remaining space on a big man (Gortat, Okafor, Bogut, Hawes).
Future: Learn to draft well/amass assets and at some point, win another championship