The Mavericks have officially announced their Las Vegas Summer League roster.
The head coach is Kaleb Canales, who spent 23 games as Portland's interim head coach in 2012 before joining the Mavericks' staff as an assistant next year. The assistant coaches will be Jamahl Mosley (Colorado), Mike Shedd (Purdue), Mike Weinar (Florida), Darrell Armstrong (Fayetteville State) and Mike Procopio (Suffolk).
Ricky Ledo and Gal Mekel are the headliners, but it's interesting that Bernard James is also on the squad. He's a free agent and the move might indicate the Mavericks would like to bring him back, pending other roster moves. You could do worse for an emergency big man.
Some other thoughts:
- James Nunnally was traded to the Texas Legends mid-season and played well. He had a 43-point and a 35-point game, and finished the season shooting 41.7 percent on 6.7 3-point attempts per game. The D-League does use the NBA 3-point line -- he has a confident stroke and showed the ability to hit inside the arc as well. He was signed to a couple of 10-day contracts by the Sixers at the end of the year, playing 111 minutes in nine games for them.
- Here's that 35-point game:
- Ivan Johnson played more than 100 games for the Hawks in the 2011-12 and the 2012-13 season, but went to China last year. He's back and might be the player most likely to make the Mavericks actual roster as a backup big man -- especially if Brandan Wright is traded this offseason.
- Our own Alan Smithee had this to say about Javon McCrea and C.J. Fair when it was announced they'd be on the Mavericks squad. Essentially, both are tweeners who have the size to play small forward and the skills to play power forward.
- Chris Smith is J.R.'s brother.
- Axel Toupane is from France and has a cool name.
- I'm actually somewhat interested in Chris Goulding, if only because he's been in Dallas for more than a month now. He was the first non-roster Summer League option, and while that probably doesn't mean anything, maybe the Mavericks went out of their way to invite him so early on. Also, he's from Australia, which is cool.
- Jackie Carmichael was with the summer league squad last year, too. He played well. I liked him.
- But you know that I know that we know Ricky Ledo is the only player that really matters. Ledo us not into temptation, indeed.