- LJ is always working hard for you guys and sent me this Terry Stotts link. You ever wonder how somebody gets to be thought of as such a good coach that everyone wants their players? I mean until 2010-2011 neither Karl nor Carlisle had won a chip as a head coach, but e'rebody knows...
- There's a really good column about Bernard James on Grantland today. Have been and will be a lot of these, thanks to his unique story, but this one is especially good and it paints a picture of an athlete still finding himself, but deeply coachable.
- Jeff Caplan's got a nice thing on Brandan Wright. Wright is the kind of player who, in the Mavericks' hands, drives you crazy. All he did, whenever he played, was make every shot he took, but he was not only chained to the bench in the playoffs, the odds of him finding playing time this year are not exactly good. Can't help but feel another team would try to see if he could build on his startling season (PER exactly .1 behind Dirk's). But the Mavericks, for their many strengths, aren't a friendly place to unrealized potential.
- This CBS article points out how rare it is that the Mavericks avoid the luxury tax, and how rare it is to be full up with high draft picks.
- Some good stuff from Mike Fisher: Dirk's opinion on the Olympics tape delay, "Coach Najera" and some other things---Although I am certain that even Mr. Fisher might be willing to characterize Atlanta "wasting" Josh Smith's prime as a horse of a different shade of grey than Dallas "wasting" Dirk's (granted, of course, that they did a lot of good stuff with Dirk's prime before last year).
- One of the greatest moments in Dallas Mavericks history. Each time I watch it, it seems that much more entirely unnecessary.
Dallas and Cents 8/14/2012