Bare with us as we move further into the late heat of the summer and the news slows down and decides to sit on the porch and sip iced tea. Actually, that sounds like a pretty good plan of action for any day. If iced tea isn't your thing, substitute it with any cold beverage of your liking...just not milk. Milk will be a bad choice. On to the Five Out:
1. Who's house?: The Chinese are infatuated with Kobe Bryant. He is the biggest NBA celebrity over there. Not even Yao Ming is as popular. Now, Nike has constructed an LED court in Shanghai called the House of Mamba. The court lights up like something out of Tron. All they need to do is throw in Olivia Wilde and I am completely sold on the future.
2. U-S-A! U-S-A!: Alright folks, it's time to stop walking around like George Michael Bluth when you think about Team USA. Sure, they had their share of setbacks leading into Saturday's friendly with Brazil but they still have a loaded roster. Jason Gallagher, who is a friend of MMB, was at the game in the United Center covering it for Grantland. Here's what he has to say about Team USA's victory.
(Authors note: Anthony Davis is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.)
3. Pudgy Parsons? Charndler Parsons only logged five minutes in the win over Brazil. He had a rebound, a steal, a turnover, and missed his only shot. His minutes aren't concerning, though. It has been stated that each player will get an opportunity in the coming games. What is concerning is his conditioning. I didn't see the game but rumblings around MMB are that he looks out of shape. What do you think?
4. Marion joins the Cavs: I seem to have the task of always saying goodbye to Shawn Marion. Well, now it's official. It was reported over the weekend that Marion has decided to go to Cleveland. Joining a team with LeBron James on the roster is kind of a no-brainer. I'm certainly not ready to crown the Cavaliers but their bench, and their locker room, just got a little bit better.
5. Dirk's revival: Okay, forget about losing Marion for a second. Think about Dirk Nowitzki instead. Those jump shots of his graze the nylon like waves lapping a shoreline. You're at peace now. And, apparently, so is Dirk. Coming off a season in which he was injured and put up un-Dirk numbers, Nowitzki rebounded last year to regain his shooting composure. ~Om~
Carpe Diem, y'all.