The NBA announced Thursday the eight participants that will compete in the JBL 3-Point Contest, and Dallas Mavericks guard Wes Matthews is one of the contestants.
Matthews will be in the competition for the second time in three years when All-Star festivities take place from Feb. 17-19 in New Orleans. Joining Matthews will be:
- Defending champion Klay Thompson
- Toronto All-Star guard Kyle Lowry
- Cleveland All-Star guard Kyrie Irving
- Charlotte All-Star guard Kemba Walker
- Portland guard C.J. McCollum
- Houston guard Eric Gordon
- And last but certainly not least, Lakers guard Nick Young.
Despite Steph Curry deciding to bow out of this year’s competition, this is a stacked field. Thompson has to be considered the favorite, but Gordon and maybe McCollum have to be considered darkhorses.
But let’s not count out Wes, who’s shooting a 38 percent clip from deep this year in a much better second season in Dallas. After not getting past the first round in 2015, he’s probably thinking to avenge that performance.
And let’s be honest, we all want to see Swaggy P because of this:
Watch. He’s going to win now.
Nevertheless, even if Matthews doesn’t win, this is still cool and the Mavericks will have, at least, someone representing them during All-Star Weekend.