The NBA announced the All-Rookie 1st & 2nd Teams Tuesday. Dennis Smith Jr. received 87 total votes, making the All-Rookie 2nd team. It’s quite an accomplishment in a loaded rookie class that also contained holdover Ben Simmons. But because we’re biased and petty, we say Smith Jr. belongs on All-Rookie 1st Team.
The All-Rookie 1st Team consists of Simmons, Donovan Mitchell, Jayson Tatum, Kyle Kuzma, and Lauri Markkanen. Lonzo Ball, John Collins, Bogdan Bogdanovic, and Josh Jackson join Smith Jr. on the 2nd Team.
For each 1st Team vote players received 2 points and for each 2nd Team vote players received 1 point. Here’s how the voting broke down:
- Simmons and Mitchell were both unanimous All-Rookie 1st Team selections while one (insane) person gave Jayson Tatum an All-Rookie 2nd Team vote.
- 2017 Number 1 overall pick, Markelle Fultz, only played in 14 games this season so it’s not surprising that he didn’t receive any votes.
- Other players besides All-Rookie Team selections that received 1st place votes: OG Anunoby (2), Dillon Brooks (1), Milos Tedosic (1).
- Bam Adebayo received the most votes for any player not selected (44, all 2nd Team votes).
- Other players receiving multiple votes: De’Aaron Fox (34), OG Anunoby (25), Jarrett Allen (18), Dillon Brooks (14), Jordan Bell (5), Royce O’Neal (4), Zach Collins (3).
- Beat writers clearly love these guys because they all received one vote: Luke Kennard, Frank Mason III, Malik Monk, Frank Ntilikina, Semi Ojeleye, Sindarius Thornwell.
Mavs on All-Rookie Teams via @dallasmavs— Nick Angstadt (@NickVanExit) May 22, 2018
Dennis Smith Jr. 17-18 (2nd)
Yogi Ferrell 16-17 (2nd)
Marquis Daniels 03-04 (2nd)
Josh Howard 03-04 (2nd)
Jason Kidd 94-95 (1st)
Jamal Mashburn 93-94 (1st)
Roy Tarpley 86-87 (1st)
Sam Perkins 84-85 (1st)
Jay Vincent 81-82 (1st)